Online Blackjack is one of the most exciting online casino games. In this ultimate guide to online Blackjack, we'll go over the proper strategy you need to increase your odds of winning, some of the popular Blackjack variants that you can play at MansionCasino New Zealand, and go over the rules and game flow.
Rules: How to Play Blackjack?
If you've never played Blackjack before, make sure to carefully read this section as we'll go over everything you need to know to start playing. If you're an experienced player, this is a good refresher course, and who knows, you might learn something.
Online Blackjack is a game of skill and luck that pits the punter vs. the dealer. Beat the dealer by getting closer to 21 points without going over. The dealer has specific rules that dictate when It does, while the player can rely on strategy or a gut feeling.
Begin the game by placing an ante bet, and then both the player and dealer are dealt two cards. The specifics as to how the cards are dealt with varies by region, and we'll discuss that further down. No matter where you play, the player starts the game with two face-up cards.
Decide whether you want to receive a new card, and try and get closer to 21 or stop and let the dealer. The player can decide to get more cards to get closer to 21, or stand and let the dealer play its hand. Dealer rules may vary slightly, but generally speaking, it will it if it has less than 16 points and stand with a 17 or higher.
No matter what online Blackjack games you're playing, here are some terms and information that you should know:
- Card Value: For the most part, the value of the card equals the number of the card. The exceptions are an A, which can be worth either 1 or 11 points, and all face cards, which are worth 10 points each.
- Blackjack: The best hand you can be dealt with in this game is an Ace and a picture card. Together they equal 21, which gives you an automatic win against the dealer unless it has a Blackjack, and then it's a push or a tie. It typically has a 3:2 payout, although some online Blackjack games payout equal money for a Blackjack.
- Hit or Stand: Hitting implies you want to receive another card, and when you stand, you're ending your turn, and the dealer can play its hand.
- Double Down: You will double your ante bet and receive a third card. In most Blackjack variants, this option is only available if you're dealt an 8, 9, 10, or 11.
- Split: When your first two cards are the same number, you'll have the option to split them, and create two separate hands. You will have to place another ante on the table, and then you'll receive a new card for each hand. The two hands are then played separately.
- Insurance: Protect yourself from the dealer getting a Blackjack by buying insurance when it has an Ace showing. Should the dealer have the Blackjack, the insurance will pay out 2:1.
- Surrender: Similar to folding in poker, some online Blackjack tables give you the option to surrender your hand, and half your ante, if you don't think your odds of winning are good.
- Side Bets: Add an extra layer of excitement by making side bets that are based on the 3 face-up cards at the beginning of each hand. The outcome of the side bet does not affect the main game.
- Multi-Hand: Play up to 5 hands on a single table at once.
Hopefully, this clears up some basic questions you might have about Blackjack. If something is still unclear, check out the detailed menu section located on every online Blackjack game at MansionCasino NZ. There you'll find all the odds, payouts, rules, side bet information, betting history, and more.
Wherever you go in the world, you can find a game of Blackjack. While the central premise of the game will be the same, the game does have some changes based on the region.
- European Blackjack: The dealer will only receive a single card to start the game. Only after the player finishes stands will it receive a face-up card, and play its hand. Other differences are that there is only one split allowed per hand, and you can only double on a hand that has between 9 – 11 points. European Blackjack is played with two decks of cards that are shuffled after each hand.
- American Blackjack: The player will receive two face-up cards, and the dealer will have a single face-up card and a face-down card. Seeing the dealer's face-up card is an advantage for the punter as it can help make the decision to hit, stand, double, split, or buy insurance easier. The game is played with 6 – 8 decks.
- Spanish 21: There are no "10" cards in a Spanish 21 deck of cards. The picture cards are still in play, so a Blackjack is still a possible outcome. At any point during the game, the player has the option to surrender and receive back a portion of the ante bet.
- Switch: The player is dealt with two hands. Mix and match the 4 cards to create the best possible hands. Due to the increased odds of getting a Blackjack, the payout is 1:1 instead of the traditional 3:2.
- Pontoon: This is the most popular version of Blackjack in the UK. It has its glossary using terms like "twist," "stick," and "buy" instead of "hit," "stand," and "double." There are no ties in Pontoon, and if both the dealer and player have the same score, the house wins the bet. The best possible hand isn't a point total, but the number of cards used without going over 21. A 5-card trick will always win the hand, regardless of the point total.
- Double Attack: This is another version of online Blackjack that is played without any "10" cards. A player can choose to double down on any hand and can surrender at any point.
Odds and Payouts
The house edge in online Blackjack is lower than most casino games. That's reflected in the 1:1 payouts for a regular win. The most notable exception is getting a Blackjack, which has a 3:2 payout. This means that if you make a $5 bet and win, you'll get your $£5 back plus an additional £$5. If you're dealt a Blackjack, that same $5 bet will payout £$7.50
The odds of winning one of the side bets are lower, and therefore the rewards are higher. For a complete breakdown of the different odds for each side bet, click on the "hamburger" menu button.
|Winning Hand||Pays||$1 Bet Pays|
Basic Strategies and Tips
Blackjack, and subsequently, online Blackjack, continues to grow in popularity all over the world. It's not just because it's a fun game with a low house edge, that's easy to learn. One of the best things that online Blackjack has going for it is a proven strategy. This isn't a secret strategy, and in fact, you can buy a strategy card at most casino giftshops or find a copy online. Treat every card that you can't see as a 10-point card. This means that dealers face-down card, the next card you'll receive if you hit, and the next card the dealer will get if it hits.
The strategy works because there are so many more high-value cards; the odds are simply in your favour. For example, if you have a 4 and 7, for a total of 11 points, play the hand as if the next card will be a 10. This means double down and see if that 10-point card is dealt and you'll have 21.
It can also help dictate when you hit, based on both your hand and the dealer. For example, if you have 12 points showing and the dealer 9, you should still hit. The logic here is that if you don't hit, the dealer will, and have a 19, which beats your 12. So, even if you hit and bust, it's not going to change the predicted outcome/
Now that you know when to hit and stand, you'll when it's the best time to utilize these 3 options.
- Split: Whenever you're dealt a matching pair of cards, the question is always – is now a good time to split the hand. Use the strategy above and see what your hand would like if you continued playing and how each hand would look if you split. Don't forget to include the dealer's hand in your analysis. There are some exceptions to this rule, most notably a pair of 10s. While it would seem like splitting them would be a great idea, the common strategy is not to split since you already have great odds of winning.
|Your Hand||When to Split VS. the Dealer|
|2's, 3's||4 through 7|
|4’s, 5’s, 10’s||Never|
|6’s||3 through 6|
|7’s||2 through 7|
|9’s||2 through 6 and 8 or 9|
- Double: Are you confident in your first two cards that you'll only need to hit one time to win the hand? If so, doubling your bet is a solid option. The best time, and in some cases the only time, is when you have 9, 10, or 11 points. Don't forget to look at the dealer's hand. If it's showing a 10 or A and you have a 9, doubling isn't a wise choice
|Your Hand||Double if Dealers face-up card is:|
|9||3 - 6|
|10||2 - 9|
|11||2 - 10|
|A and 2||2 to 10|
|A and 2||5,6|
|A and 3||5,6|
|A and 4,5||4,5,6|
|A and 7||2 - 6|
|A and 8||6|
- Surrender: This strategy is only available in select online Blackjack variants. However, if it's available, there is no shame in surrendering a hand and trying your luck in the game. Some good times to surrender are if you're holding 2, 3, or 4, and the dealer is showing a 9, 10, or A.
Promotions and Bonuses
The bonuses and promotions offered at an online casino are often what separates one from another. MansionCasino New Zealand consistently offers the best Welcome Bonuses, Reload Offers, Bonus Codes, and various promotions geared toward specific games or genres throughout the year for new and returning punters. Since the offers are always being updated, check out the promotions page today. Whether you prefer table games like online Blackjack and roulette or you're a fan of online slot, you'll find the perfect offers for you.
MansionCasino NZ is dedicated to providing high-quality mobile casino games for all our punters. Play all your favourite online Blackjack games from your Android or iOS devices, and you'll have the same top-notch graphics and gaming experience. The odds of winning and betting limits are the same across all devices. Simple login to your account through your mobile browser, touch the chips you want to wager, and slide them on the Blackjack table. Then click "deal," and the game will begin.
1. How to win at Blackjack? – Add up the point totals of your cards and the dealer, and whoever has closer to 21 without going over it is the winner.
2. Is it possible to count cards in online Blackjack? – The online Blackjack decks are shuffled after each hand, making counting cards a pointless exercise.
3. Where can I play Blackjack against a live dealer? – MansionCasino New Zealand has a large selection of active Live Blackjack tables available for real money players 24/7.
4. What makes MansionCasino NZ.com the best Blackjack casino? –With over 15 years' experience, top-notch customer support, and great bonuses, MansionCasino NZ has proven to be the most reputable online casino to play Blackjack for real money.
One of the great things about online Blackjack is that it's pretty easy to game to learn. That doesn't mean that you don't have questions or should be embarrassed to ask. MansionCasino NZ has several ways to answer any questions you might have about Blackjack or the online casino itself.
- In-Game Help Menu: This is the best way to find answers to all game-related questions. Whether it's about the rules for specific Blackjack variants or the odds and payouts for all side bets. Click on the "Hamburger" menu button and choose the section that's relevant to your query.
- Customer Support: MansionCasino NZ has an award-winning, dedicated, 24/7 customer support team that can answer any questions you have via telephone, live chat, or email. This is an ideal way to get answers to questions you have about your casino account, billing, payment methods, bonuses, or trouble with the software.
Play for Real Money
As you can see, online Blackjack is not only an easy game to play, but it has a proven strategy that can help guide your decision-making. Take this knowledge and start playing for real money at MansionCasino New Zealand. You'll find a wide selection of games to choose from and find the ones that are best for you. Register your account today and select one of the accepted payment methods to transfer money to your account. In addition, playing online Blackjack for real money, you'll also receive an exclusive Welcome Bonus to get you started on the right foot.