Play Online Blackjack in South Africa
Table of Contents:
Rules | Variations | Odds and Payouts | Strategies and Tips | Mobile | Promotions & Bonuses | FAQ | Help
Blackjack is an iconic casino game. It's thought to have originated in French casinos in the 1700’s and fast become famous throughout the world. The fundamental premise of Blackjack is simple - beat the dealer's hand without going over 21. If your card total or the dealers is over 21, it's an automatic bust. If you both have matching points, it's a draw (push). However, those are just the basic rules. When sitting at a Blackjack table, you need to know the order of play, and what each of your betting options are.
Rules: How to Play Blackjack?
Order of play
Before the dealer hands out any cards, place a starting bet on the table (often called your ante). Now, the dealer will pass you two face-up cards, and one face-up and face-down card for himself. You'll want to pay close attention to the dealer's face-up card.
Note: The specific dealing order depends on which variant of Blackjack you're playing.
It's now your time to act. When your turn is finished, the dealer will begin his turn, and a winner and loser will be declared at the end.
All number cards are worth their face value, where-as all picture cards (Jack, Queen, and King) are worth 10 points each. The Ace is special and can be worth 1 or 11 depending on your preference.
Hit or Stand
When it's your turn to play, your two most basic moves are:
- Hit - receive another card. You can keep choosing to 'Hit' until you want to stop or go bust.
- Stand - when you want to end your turn, select 'Stand'.
- Double Down: Feeling confident with your hand? Double your original wager for a chance at double the payout. Double Down is usually enabled when you have 9-11 points showing. It's important to note that selecting this betting option will end your turn straight away. So, think carefully before choosing it.
- Split: If you're dealt matching cards, such as a pair of eights, you can split them into two separate hands. But it's not free; you must place a bet equal to your original ante. Each hand will then receive one card each, and you can continue to play.
- Insurance: If the dealer's face-up card is an Ace, you'll have the option to take insurance - it pays out 2:1 if the dealer has a Blackjack (Ace + any 10 point card).
- Surrender: Surrendering allows you to forfeit the round and receive half of your ante back. The majority of Blackjack games only will enable this option before your first move.
- Side Bets: Side bets are additional betting opportunities which aren't related to your main hand. There are many different side bets available such as Player or Dealer, having the same number, 21+3 bet which tries to create a winning poker hand using the first three face-up cards on the table. Not all Blackjack games have side bets available.
- Multi-Hand: Blackjack multi-hand tables allow you to bet and play up to 5 hands at the same time.
All of our Blackjack games have a 'help' menu where you can see all the critical information about the game's rules, how to play, payouts, and user interface guide.
At MansionCasino ZA you'll find many types of Blackjack available to play. While the basic premise of the game is the same - beat the dealer, there are some critical differences.
This Blackjack variation is played with 2-8 decks of cards. First, the dealer passes the player two cards, face-up, and one face-up for himself. He'll only receive his second card when you Stand, and you can only split with a pair of 10s, Jacks, Queens and Kings. Unlike other versions of Blackjack, you can't re-split your hand again.
Considered by many to be the most traditional style of Blackjack available, the American version is played with 6-8 decks. Unlike European Blackjack, the dealer receives both of his cards before your turn starts. You can split any pair of cards, and even re-split if you receive another matching card. If the dealer has an Ace showing, you'll have the option to purchase insurance.
Anyone looking for Blackjack with a twist will want to try Spanish 21. It's played with two decks, and all of the 10's are removed (all of the face cards remain). There's no Push on 21. Instead, you'll win the hand. Unlike other versions of Blackjack, you can double your split hand, plus there's a late surrender option.
This UK version of Blackjack uses different terminology. Pontoon is used instead of Blackjack, Twist is used instead of Hit, and Stick is used instead of Stand. Other rules involve all ties going to the dealer, unless you have a 'five-card trick' which is the second-best hand. You also have to Twist if you have less than 15 points.
Using many of the same rules as Spanish 21, Double Attack also has two decks with all the 10 cards removed. However, you can double down or surrender whenever you like.
Odds and Payouts
Blackjack has one of the lowest house-edges in any casino game. How little it goes depends on the variation you're playing, the number of decks used and rule set in play. In general, it ranges from 0.50%-1%.
The payout structure for Online Blackjack is easy to learn, especially with some examples.
- Regular wins payout 1:1. Your payout is equal to your ante plus your original stake.
- Blackjack has a payout of 3:2. Betting $10 will earn you $15 plus your original stake.
- Insurance has a payout of 2:1. A $10 bet will earn you $20 plus your original stake.
- If the game results in a tie (Push), your original stake is returned to you.
|Winning Hand||Pays||$1 Bet Pays|
|Regular Hand||1:1||$2 ($1+$1)|
For a full explanation of each game's odds and payout structure, visit the in-game help menu by clicking on the 'Hamburger' icon in the game window.
Basic Strategies and Tips
It's important to know when the dealer will hit and when he'll stay. In most variations, the dealer must hit on 16 and stand on 17. As there is four times the number of 10-point cards in each deck, it's a good idea to assume that the dealer's next card will be a 10-point card.
Other essential strategies for Splitting, Doubling, and Surrender also exist which we'll explain below.
When dealt with a pair of matching cards, you can choose to split them. Just because you can split, doesn't mean you should always want to. First, check out the dealer's hand to gauge your odds of winning with your single hand. For example, your chances of winning with a pair of 10s are higher than if you split them and have a lower total in each hand. Most experts advise never to split your hand if the dealer is showing an Ace.
|Your Hand||When to Split Vs the Dealer|
|2's, 3's||4 through 7|
|4's, 5's, 10's||Never|
|6's||3 through 6|
|7's||2 through 7|
|9's||2 through 6 and 8 or 9|
The option to double is different between each Blackjack game, but the optimal time to use it doesn't change. When you have a hand with 9, 10, or 11 points and the dealer has fewer, your odds of winning are higher. This is a good time to double.
|Your Hand||Double if Dealer’s Face-Up Card is:|
|9||3 to 6|
|10||2 to 9|
|11||2 to 10|
|A and 2||5,6|
|A and 3||5,6|
|A and 4,5||4,5,6|
|A and 6||3 to 6|
|A and 7||2 to 6|
|A and 8||6|
If you're in a situation where you think you will lose, you can choose to surrender. You'll forfeit the round but receive back half of your ante.
You can play our Blackjack games on all iOS and Android devices. This means you'll enjoy the same gaming experience on your desktop, laptop, phone and tablet devices. Enjoy the high-quality graphics as you take a seat and take on the dealer in any of our online Blackjack tables.
To get started, just tap on your chip size and drag it onto the table to place your ante. Everything is perfectly optimized for the smartphone casino player, meaning you can sign up, deposit, play and cash out all from the comfort of your handheld device.
Promotions and Bonuses
Want to top up your balance with a bonus? Check out all of our incredible bonuses and promotions - only available at MansionCasino ZA. We've got a Welcome Bonus, free spins, tournaments, and Blackjack friendly bonuses for table games fans.
All of our Terms and Conditions are fair, easy to find, and simple to read. Find the full list of our bonuses and promotions at the MansionCasino.com ZA Promotions page.
How can I win at Blackjack?
There are two ways you can win when playing online Blackjack. The first is by getting more points than the dealer without going bust (having more than 21 points). The second way is to have 21 or fewer points, and the dealer busts by having more than 21.
Is it possible to count cards in online Blackjack?
It's impossible to count cards in online Blackjack. Most physical Blackjack games don't reshuffle the deck after every round. However, the virtual deck in online Blackjack is reshuffled after every round. Each round of Blackjack is independent from the one before it, and your game history does not affect the outcome of your Blackjack games.
Where can I play against a Live Dealer?
At MansionCasino ZA, we've partnered with Playtech's Eurolive platform, which provides the world's best Live Dealer suite of games. You can take a seat at any of our Live Blackjack, Roulette, Baccarat and Casino Hold 'em tables 24/7 and experience the authentic casino atmosphere for yourself.
What makes MansionCasino the best Blackjack casino?
South African players love MansionCasino ZA for our large variety of exciting Blackjack games and our award-winning customer service team. We're fully licensed and regulated, and all deposits and withdrawals are fast and secure. You're in a great pair of hands when you play at MansionCasino ZA!
Help and Support
Blackjack is a thrilling and exciting game, with many variations offering different rules, payouts and side bets. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the games, you can find help in two places:
- In-Game Help Menu: Find all the answers and information for any game-related questions by opening your selected game and clicking on the ‘Hamburger’ icon. This opens the help menu where you'll find a breakdown of the game's rules, side bets, user interface, betting history, payouts, RTP and more.
- Customer Support: Our dedicated customer support team are waiting to assist you 24/7 via Live Chat, email and telephone. You can also contact us if you have any questions regarding rules, betting options, payouts, bonuses, payments, deposits, cash outs, or technical issues.
Play Online Blackjack for Real Money
Blackjack is a simple game to play and offers one of the lowest house edges out of all the casino games. And at MansionCasino ZA you'll find the best Blackjack tables, fantastic bonuses and the best customer support team available.